Executing The Web, One Site at a Time – Our Approach To Building A Website
Online success just doesn’t happen, it is the result of the careful execution of a methodology or process. Our web design methodology is based on 17 years of experience, starting with a website we did for FootLocker.com back in 1996. Our methodology has evolved over time into a streamlined and flexible process that can be adapted to any website development project, regardless of size and complexity.
Here is our basic approach:
- Business Discovery
- Plan a Strategy
- Design & Style
- Development & Integration
- Site Launch
- Maintenance and Marketing
Scaling Project Processes
This six-step process can be modified to fit a smaller project by reducing the amount of effort spent on various steps. For example the “Discovery” process can involve just one simple phone call with the client to learn about their brand and goals. For a more complex project, “Discovery” can involve several all-day meetings.
Likewise, the “Strategy” process can be accomplished by creating a short document that addresses a holistic strategy or for larger websites it can involve weeks of market research to define your target audiences, analyze your competition and recommend communication channels. Each step in this process is flexible and can be modified to fit a target project’s budget and requirements.
Creating a Project Estimate
When we estimate a project we try to get a good understanding of the project requirements and then estimate the number of hours required for the primary tasks required for each specific client:
- Discovery: We begin by listening, making sure that we understand the challenges and opportunities, audience, industry, brand, business and the websites goals.
- Strategy: Developing a strategy to reach the target audiences and drive conversions. Budget, schedule, team, sitemaps and wireframes.
- Interface Design: Integrating your brand and messaging. Design all graphics and page layouts; may also include a separate design for mobile browsers or apps.
- Development & Integration: Hosting setup, database setup, application design and programming, testing, testing and more testing, technical project management. Integrate SEO, plugins and third-party apps.
- Site Launch: Launching and re-testing.
- Site Maintenance and Marketing: Planning and executing post-launch activities – determine a maintenance plan. Train client on CMS (content management system). Developing a consistent and frequent marketing strategy is an important business website success factor. This can include social media marketing, on and off-page SEO, search engine marketing, content marketing, email marketing and site analytic reports.
Important Note: All of these tasks require Project Management time. A website development project without a decent Project Manager is doomed to failure. The Project Manager is the primary point of contact with the client and our internal team. We have found that between 15% and 30% of a project budget and time ends up being project management hours.
Here at Executionists we are not a develop-and-run web design firm. We know that crafting the perfect website takes time and a lot of effort. Whether you are seeking a small-scale promotional website, a large-scale interactive eCommerce website, or a full-blown enterprise-level website with robust content management, designing competitive, high-impact websites is our specialty.
Executionists will work with you to understand your needs, goals and vision to create a website that best represents you. Call us today at (310)-754-3807 or fill out the form by pressing the button below for a free consultation.